2010 KIA SOUL
The all-new 2010 Soul represents a big change for South Korean automaker Kia. Known best for their budget-priced cars, Kia is jumping ahead into the world of cutting-edge styling and customization with this new box on wheels.
The base-model Kia Soul gets a 122 horsepower 1.6 liter engine and a 5-speed manual transmission, while the sport version with the old-tech 4-speed automatic.
The tires grip the road nicely and there’s very little body lean in the curves, which is especially important in a car that feels this narrow and tall. Safety-wise, the Soul comes with a full complement of airbags, antilock brakes, and standard electronic stability control (ESC). Crash test scores have been excellent, in fact, the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety named the Soul a Top Safety Pick for its combination of strong occupant protection and standard ESC.
- Base engine: 1.6 liter inline four-cylinder, 122 hp @ 6,300 RPM, 115 lb-ft @ 4,200 RPM
- Optional engine: 2.0 liter inline four-cylinder, 142 hp @ 6,000 RPM, 137 lb-ft @ 4,600 RPM
- Premium fuel required? No
- Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
- Driveline: Front engine, front-wheel-drive
- EPA fuel economy estimates: 26 MPG city/31 MPG highway (1.6), 24/30 (2.0)
- Powertrain tested/observed fuel economy: 2.0 automatic, 25.9 MPG
- Where built: South Korea
- Standard safety equipment: Front airbags, front-seat-mounted side airbags, two-row side curtain airbags, antilock brakes, electronic stability control
- Optional safety equipment: None
- Major standard features: Power windows and locks, air conditioning, CD player, alloy wheels
- Major options: Remote keyless entry, alloy wheels, upgraded stereo, sunroof, power mirrors, cruise control, sport-tuned suspension, fog lights
2010 MINI JOHN COOPER WORKS CLUBMAN
The Clubman does offer significant extra space as compared with a regular-wheelbase Mini Cooper. This is a very capable car with excellent steering and handling and solid acceleration
The Clubman’s 207-hp turbocharged engine is very willing to perform but results in lots of torque steer under hard acceleration, and the ultra-stiff suspension means that you feel every bump and slight surface variation in the road. On the positive side of the ledger, the JCW Clubman exhibits an enticing combination of small-car agility and racing-bred technology. Plus, the Clubman gives you some added practicality with the extra room over the Mini Cooper.
1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine
6-speed manual Getrag transmission
17-inch alloy wheels
Brembo front brake calipers
Corner brake control
Electronic brakeforce distribution
Dynamic traction control
Electronic differential lock control
AM/FM/CD audio system with 6-speakers
Telescoping and height adjustable steering wheel