The Mazda 6 MZR-CD featuring a 2.2-litre, four-cylinder common-rail turbodiesel engine has officially gone on sale in Australia priced from $36,690 (RM 85,913.30) for the wagon and $43,890 (RM 102,772.82) for the sports hatch.
NEW 2009 Mazda 6 MZR-CD IN BRIEF – MAZDA6 DIESEL
The turbodiesel engine employs the latest direct-injection technology to help increase power by 31 kW to 136 kW at 3,500 rpm and torque by 40 Nm to 400 Nm from 1,800 to 3,000 rpm. Coupled with a sporty six-speed manual transmission, the Mazda6 Diesel accelerates from 0-100km/h in just 8.5 seconds – a full second (9.5 seconds) quicker than the previous 2.0-litre model – while returning frugal fuel consumption figures of 5.9L/100km (Sports hatch) and 6.0L/100km (wagon) on the combined cycle. The Mazda6 Diesel’s CO2 rating is just 156g/km (hatch) and 159g/km (wagon).
Mazda Australia Managing Director Doug Dickson said: “This spirited and economical new-generation engine cements Mazda’s leadership as the only Japanese brand offering turbodiesel passenger cars to Australians.
“This new 2.2-litre turbodiesel delivers on the once conflicting attributes of robust and refined, powerful and efficient… from a compelling sub-$40,000 price.”
New MZR-CD 2.2-litre engine – in brief
* Produces 136kW at 3,500rpm and 400Nm of torque from 1,800 to 3,000rpm, using
only 5.9L/100km (hatch) and 6.0L/100km (wagon) on the ADR81/02 combined cycle
* CO2 rating of 156g/km (hatch) and 159g/km (wagon)
* New common-rail direct injection system with injectors that have 10 spray holes (up from six on the MZR-CD 2.0-litre) and higher-response solenoids for power and low emissions
* Common-rail injection pressure increased to 200MPa, one of the industry’s highest, with high-response solenoids, providing higher power, fuel efficiency and good emissions performance
* Low compression ratio of 16.3:1, made possible with highly-atomising injectors, for temperature cooling effect which contributes to low consumption
* Variable geometry, high-efficiency turbocharger with curved vanes and abradable seal for strong torque at low engine speeds and lively engine response
* DOHC valve system is chain-driven for maintenance-free operation
* High-rigidity aluminium lower block combined with low-friction, front chain-drive balancer shaft for low engine noise
* Newly-developed, high thermal-resistance Mazda unique Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) system with global-first ceramic support matrix structure for faster regeneration
* Newly-developed Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler with superior cooling efficiency