SEREMBAN: Pay up your summonses within two weeks from Wednesday and get a 50% discount.
This is the “carrot” the authorities are dangling before errant motorists in a bid to make them pay their summonses and reduce the backlog.
However, those who settle their dues between two weeks and a month will be entitled to a 30% discount.
After that, offenders will be required to pay the full amount of the summonses issued to them.
A government official who disclosed this said motorists who were issued with tickets during the Ops Sikap exercise or those already issued with arrest warrants would not be entitled to the discounts.
“Those issued with summonses for serious accidents will also not be given the discounts,” he said.
(Ops Sikap is a traffic safety operation carried out by the police to ensure safety on all during festive seasons, such as Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Deepavali, Christmas and Chinese New Year. The operation began also involves the Road Transport Department, Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board and the National Anti-Drugs Agency).
The official said the authorities will not entertain any appeal for reduction after a month, adding that those issued with summonses before Dec 1 but had failed to settle them will also be entitled to a 50% reprieve.
“The move is to encourage more traffic offenders to pay up. We do not want the list of people blacklisted to increase,” he said.
It is understood that traffic offenders have chalked up to 15 million summonses for various offences in recent years.
Almost 90% of the tickets were issued by the police. The rest were by the Road Transport Department.
Also, it is learnt, some 650,000 motorists are on the police blacklist for failing to settle their traffic summonses.
It is understood that the police issued between 10,000 and 15,000 summonses daily.
The official said motorists can make payments through the Internet via www.rilek.com.my and www.myeg.com.my.
Portal users must print a receipt of payment and keep it for future reference, he said.
Cash payment is accepted at all police headquarters and district police stations as well as counters at select shopping malls
Prior to this, motorists who had committed traffic offences and had failed to settle their tickets were required to pay the full amount or risk being blacklisted.
However, following a Cabinet decision in August, the authorities have deferred the blacklist period to Feb 28 next year so that offenders can pay up.
Since, at that time, the government did not offer any discounts, offenders were allowed to pay their summonses through instalments.
Despite this leniency, however, very few people had been settling their summonses.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha had said motorists should pay up if they did not want to risk being fined or face demerit action after the deadline.
SOURCE – The Star online –