Proton has announced the resignation of Datuk Sri Haji Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir as the group managing director.
The resignation takes effect from July 4 and came a day after the national car company said DRB-Hicom would keep Proton subsidiary Lotus and confirmed its CEO had been suspended.
Proton said in a statement that Syed Zainal had decided to step down on his own accord.
Proton’s chief financial officer, Azhar Othman, is also leaving, effective July 6.
The statement did not name a successor to Syed Zainal but said “Proton executive chairman Datuk Sri Haji Mohd Khamil Jamil will continue his leadership role in steering the Company forward.”
Syed Zainal has served Proton for over six years.
Since even before the DRB-Hicom takeover, rumours have been rife that Syed Zainal would leave the company. As recently as last month, Proton had denied that he would do so.
On March 16, Proton had announced that Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh had resigned as its chairman and director.
The national auto maker said his resignation was part of a term stipulated in the sales and purchase agreement between Khazanah Nasional Bhd and DRB-Hicom.